[Rd] That 'make check-all' problem with the survival package

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Sat May 16 15:33:53 CEST 2015

> On May 16, 2015, at 6:11 AM, Hin-Tak Leung <htl10 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>

> ------------------------------
> On Sat, May 16, 2015 8:04 AM BST Uwe Ligges wrote:
>
>> Not sure why this goes to R-devel. You just could have asked the
>> maintainer. Terry Therneau is aware of it and promised he will fix it.
>>

> The quickest fix is to add cmprsk to the recommended list , and that's is an R-devel issue.

Actually, the easiest solution would be for Terry to either modify relevant code according to:

  http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Suggested-packages

or perhaps better, as noted, to remove the need for cmprsk at all.

The latter raises the philosophical issue as to whether or not a Recommended package should or really needs to have any connections at all to third party CRAN packages. It seems to me that the default R distribution of “Base” and “Recommended” packages should be able to fully run in a stand alone manner without any declared external connections to other non-default packages.

The only other Recommended package that I found that has such a connection is nlme, which has a Suggests for Frank’s Hmisc. However, based upon a grep review of the package contents, there are only two code based references to Hmisc that I located:

./R/newFunc.R:264:      ## e.g. Hmisc's "labelled"
./tests/augPred_lab.R:2:if(require("Hmisc")) {

Neither of which is really needed (the first being a comment only, so benign) and of course the latter goes against the current guidance in R-exts. The second, within the if() code, uses the Hmisc label() function, which it seems to me is not really needed here.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz