[Rd] MetaCran website v1.0.0-alpha

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 25 02:29:39 CEST 2015

Hi Uwe,

On 25 May 2015 at 01:40, Uwe Ligges wrote:
| Thanks for letting us know about the new website. Some comments:
|
| - Download statistics: Where are they from? CRAN does not monitor
| downloads generally, maybe some selected mirrors do.

This is the "standard" data set which has been provided by RStudio based on
the downloads from their 0-cloud content-delivery network.

This is not new; if you ever looked at rdocumentation.org (the nice and
useful site by the datacamp folks), they show(ed?) time-series plots of
downloads on the per-package pages.

Gabor has worked for quite some time on nice databasing of these number and
APIs.  He by now has a boatload of repositories at GitHub. For more on
download stats, see eg http://cranlogs.r-pkg.org/ and follow the API docs.

| - Section "Recently updated" can only hold 9 packages, but frequently
| more than 9 get accepted even within an hour, hence not sure if this
| makes sense.

C'est la vie.

For any cutoff one suggests, someone else will suggest that the number may be
exceeded. I on the other hand find the site nicely symmetric offering 'top
nine' in all three sections.

| - The links "Download R" and "CRAN homepage" point to a particular link
| of a mirror rather than the official pages. I'd appreciate if you do not
| link to selected mirrors. The R homepage on purpose links to
| http://cran.r-project.org/mirrors.html when pointing to CRAN.

It may not be so clearcut. As previously discussed, I happen to take the
other side here. I have long changed my scripts and settings on various
machines as the CDN is _clearly_ superior in performance to the various US
mirror I used over the years, some as hardcoded names, some as DNS
round-robin or preference wrappers (eg cran.us.r-project.org).

And by pointing to the "cloud" CDN I don't even need to change the entries
on, say, my laptop when I travel to Europe.  Also, given the popularity and
load on CRAN, I can assure you that throughput is better at cran.rstudio.com.

Hth,  Dirk