[Rd] MetaCran website v1.0.0-alpha

Henrik Bengtsson henrik.bengtsson at ucsf.edu
Tue May 26 19:43:20 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 8:28 PM, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org>
> wrote:
>
>> One issue I have with this is that it doesn't point to the original GitHub
>> repositories of the packages, so you end up with additional repositories on
>> Github in Gabor's name that have nothing to do with the actual Github
>> repositories of the packages. I understand that it's technically necessary,
>> but I fear it will lead to a lot of confusion...
>

> Well, we point to the original GitHub repo is that is given in the URL
> field. It would be nice to have an "official" field for source code
> repository in DESCRIPTION.
>
> But I agree with you that this has great potential for confusion. Several
> people have been sending pull requests to github.com/cran repos, most of
> them not realizing that they are not the right repos to fork. (Although
> many packages are not on GH or any other similar service, and then are kind
> of the places to fork.)
>
> I could have a large warning popup on the link from r-pkg.org, with red
> flags, and you would see this before the actual repo. But this has its own
> problems, like being annoying after a while, how to turn it off with
> browser cookies, etc.
>
> The best would be to somehow have a warning on the GitHub repo pages, but
> there isn't a lot I can modify there if I don't want to change/add the
> README file, which would effectively change the package. I could probably
> add 'WARNING: this is a read-only mirror, and not the original package
> repository' to the one-line description on the top.
>
> If you have other ideas, please let me know.

If people send pull requests, maybe adding a generic open pull request
to each repository with title "MIRROR ONLY: Do not send pull requests
here" would help.  The fancy version would be to say "MIRROR ONLY: All
patches/pull requests should be sent to <URL>", where <URL> is from
the DESCRIPTION field 'URL'.  That might prevent a few more.
<blink>You can boost it with lots of colorful "WARNING", "NO
TRESPASSING", ... labels as well</blink>.   The next level up is to
have a service that automatically reject pull requests with an
informative error message.

/Henrik