[Rd] R-devel no longer supports Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (insufficient PCRE version)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 24 04:57:50 CET 2015

Sebastian, Paul,

Ubuntu 14.04 builds (for Linux 32 and 64 bit, ie i386 and amd64) of the (most
current) pcre package (ie 8.35-7) for Ubuntu are now in my PPA at

   https://launchpad.net/~edd/+archive/ubuntu/misc/+packages

These should work.  You can add this PPA as I do in some Travis runs via

   sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:edd/misc

and then just do

   apt-get update; apt-get install libpcre3-dev

which should do the trick -- but I haven't tested.  Contact me off-list if
you fail.

Oh, and I guess we should have had this whole thread over on r-sig-debian.

Best,  Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org