[Rd] R CMD check --as-cran without qpdf

Kirill Müller kirill.mueller at ivt.baug.ethz.ch
Sat Oct 10 12:30:32 CEST 2015

Today, a package that has an HTML vignette (but no PDF vignette) failed
R CMD check --as-cran on a system without qpdf. I think the warning
originates here [1], due to a premature check for the existence of qpdf
[2]. Setting R_QPDF=true (as in /bin/true) helped, but perhaps it's
possible to check qpdf existence only when it matters.

I have attached a patch (untested) that could serve as a starting point.
The code links correspond to SVN revision 69500. Thanks.

Best regards

Kirill

[1]
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/f42ee5e7ecf89a245afd6619b46483f1e3594ab7/src/library/tools/R/check.R#L322-L326,