[Rd] Building R for AIX in 64-bit mode

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 15 15:02:57 CEST 2015

On 15/10/2015 13:32, Michael Felt wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Just wanted to let you know I am getting close to packaging R for AIX in
> 64.bit mode.

Which version? (You mentioned 3.1.3 and 3.2.2 far below.)  There is
little value in reporting on frozen branches, and most value in
reporting on R-devel where all the current changes have been incorporated.

> One comment - the libtool.m4 I see used is quite old. The one I have on my
> system is 2.4.6, and what I see in R says:

R-devel has 2.4.6 .

> I am hoping a new libtool will clean up most of the manual work now needed.

But libtool is hardly used in building R.

> # Which release of libtool.m4 was used?
> macro_version=2.2.6
> macro_revision=1.3012
>
> This may be all that is needed to cleanup what I am doing manually.
>
> working with gcc I have done the following for 64-bit building
>
> export OBJECT_MODE=64
> export CFLAGS="-maix64 -O2"
> export FFLAGS="-maix64 -O2"

See the manual: flags such as -maix64 should be part of CC, not CFLAGS.
  That explains a lot of what was reported.
Specifically,
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#Essential-programs-and-libraries
and https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-patched/R-admin.html#AIX .

It is safer to put such things on the configure command line or in a
config.site file (they will be found when updating if you do).

[Lots of test output removed.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK