[Rd] Support for high DPI 4K screens

Tom Wenseleers Tom.Wenseleers at bio.kuleuven.be
Sat Sep 5 13:46:44 CEST 2015

I was recently testing R and RStudio on a high dpi 4K monitor under Windows and noticed that the plot window cannot be scaled or zoomed without affecting the relative sizing of all plot elements (line widths, font sizes, legend spacing etc). RStudio seems to try to overcome this by enabling dpi scaling for the plot window on high dpi screens, but this results in really fuzzy text and graphics (e.g. causing colour fringing when using Cleartype).
This made me wonder if the assumed dpi of the screen could perhaps be set using some global option, so that all graphics could be made to scale their contents in a correct way, without affecting the size relative to the size of the plot window (I think now it is always assumed to be 72 dpi)? I recently asked a related question re how to scale R graphics proportionally to the size of the plot window on Stackoverflow, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31381066/r-function-to-make-plot-symbols-line-widths-and-text-in-ggplot2-lattice-and-b/32412384#32412384 but nobody seemed to be able to come up with a good answer/solution. This made me wonder if there could perhaps be some low-level solution to this?

best regards,
Tom

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]