[Rd] Support for high DPI 4K screens

Tom Wenseleers Tom.Wenseleers at bio.kuleuven.be
Sat Sep 5 22:20:06 CEST 2015

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your message. Just to clarify - I've seen this problem on Windows both under Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and the RStudio people were also aware of the problem (it's also a known problem on Linux btw, https://support.rstudio.com/hc/communities/public/questions/201913407-RStudioGD-option-to-set-screen-DPI?locale=en-us )... I gathered that part of the problem is the difficulty to scale a graphics window without affecting the relative scaling of the plot elements (text, line widths etc), which is why in RStudio they now rely on the inbuilt dpi scaling of Windows, which merely upscales the low res image by a factor of 2 if you set the zoom factor to 2 (resulting in a blurry plot window). Not using dpi scaling or zooming is also an option, but then one typically has to make one's plot window larger, thereby requiring one to adjust the scaling of all plot elements, e.g. in ggplot2, ie text sizes, plot symbol sizes, line sizes etc due to the fact that all those sizes are specified as absolute sizes... Other problem is that without zooming the default text sizes of all standard ggplot2 themes e.g. are much too small.

This made me wonder if in some future edition such problems could not be solved by allowing graphics to scale proportionally, maybe with some optional zoom factor or something, or by being able to specify how many ppi one's screen is? Many people I know that use R would also love to be able to maximize their plot window without it affecting the scaling of all the text etc in the graph. Right now one is pretty much tied to exporting as PDF and then viewing that full screen... Or am I overlooking something? I am just asking this question here as I have a feeling that a solution to this problem would probably be most conveniently addressed somewhere at a low level in grDevices or grid...

best regards,
Tom