[Rd] No new daily R-devel tarball since r69202?

Rainer Hurling rhurlin at gwdg.de
Sun Sep 6 08:40:13 CEST 2015

Am 05.09.2015 um 19:09 schrieb peter dalgaard:

>>> Probably not (it is on Martin Maechler's turf, though). These things are run by cron jobs, and sometimes they get stalled. It is also possible that a change to the build tools on that machine caused the tarballs to fail their builds (the way things work, you need to build R before you can build the tarball.)
>>
>> Yes, I am aware of the build process before the tarball. The mail should
>> only take some attention on it ;)
>>
>> Since end of August, there had been a change of the location, where
>> devel and patched sources are located: from
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/R/daily/ to
>> ::mirror::/pub/misc/cran/src/base-prerelease/
>
> There is no change, there has been two locations for a while now. One is an extension of the alpha/beta/RC-releases built by me, leading up to the release tarballs, the other maintained by Martin/ETHZ for a much longer time. The issue is just that Martin's updates seem to have been stalled for some reason.
>
> This configuration sort of came sneaking up on us (long story...), so the CRAN descriptions are not completely precise.

Thanks for the clarification. So it was intended to have two different
places with (slightly) different aims.

> It's not a big deal for me to set up so that there is also an R-devel-latest.tar.gz or so in base-prerelease.

This would be nice, but it only should be necessary, if the ETHZ server
would not come up again with this service.

Many thanks again for your answer and for the proposal.

Greetings,
Rainer Hurling