[Rd] Build R form source - manuals

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 09:41:17 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 09/09/2015 07:40, arnaud gaboury wrote:
>>
>> I built R form source succesfully on my Fedora 22 box. No errors.
>

> Which version of R?
3-2-1

>> I can read there is an issue with some manuals at build time when
>> running makeinfo, especially these two:
>> doc/manual/R-exts.texi
>> cp doc/manual/R-intro.texi
>> Some distro have hacks about makeinfo 5 in their build script.
>>
>> I wonder if some manuals are broken but couldn't see it when running make.
>>

>> May someone tells me more about this issue and what can I do to make
>> sure these manuals are correctly built.
>

> You are the one claiming there is an issue, so the onus is on you to tell
> us.

please find below two build scripts for R 3-2-1

* Archlinux:
  # fix for texinfo 5.X
  sed -i 's|test ${makeinfo_version_min} -lt 7|test
${makeinfo_version_min} -lt 0|' configure

* FEDORA 22
%if 0%{?fedora} >= 19
# What a hack.
# Current texinfo doesn't like @eqn. Use @math instead where stuff breaks.
cp doc/manual/R-exts.texi doc/manual/R-exts.texi.spot
cp doc/manual/R-intro.texi doc/manual/R-intro.texi.spot
sed -i 's|@eqn|@math|g' doc/manual/R-exts.texi
sed -i 's|@eqn|@math|g' doc/manual/R-intro.texi
%endif
%if %{texi2any}
    make MAKEINFO=texi2any info
%else
    make MAKEINFO=makeinfo info
%endif

# Convert to UTF-8
for i in doc/manual/R-intro.info doc/manual/R-FAQ.info doc/FAQ
doc/manual/R-admin.info doc/manual/R-exts.info-1; do
  iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 -o $i{.utf8,}
  mv $i{.utf8,}
done

%install
make DESTDIR=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT} install install-info
# And now, undo the hack. :P
%if 0%{?fedora} >= 19
mv doc/manual/R-exts.texi.spot doc/manual/R-exts.texi
mv doc/manual/R-intro.texi.spot doc/manual/R-intro.texi
%endif
make DESTDIR=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT} install-pdf

As seen above, these two scripts contain hacks.

Again, building on my Linux R from CRAN source is OK. My worry is
being left with broken manuals, thus the idea to verify if everything
is correctly built.

Thank you

> Recent versions of R work with makeinfo 5.1/2 (5.0 is broken) or report that
> makeinfo is not available.  And versions released after 6.0 work with 6.0
>
> --
> Emeritus Professor of Applied Statistics, University of Oxford
> 1 South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3TG, UK

google.com/+arnaudgabourygabx