[Rd] Optimization bug when byte compiling with gcc 5.2.0 on windows

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:16:07 CEST 2015

On 14/09/2015 9:36 AM, luke-tierney at uiowa.edu wrote:
> I believe the issue is that on Windows the sqrt function when called
> with a NaN does not return the same NaN, as it does on other platforms.
> We have
>
> #if (defined(_WIN32) || defined(_WIN64)) && defined(__GNUC__) && \
>       __GNUC__ <= 4
> # define R_sqrt(x) (ISNAN(x) ? x : sqrt(x))
> #else
> # define R_sqrt sqrt
> #endif
>
> for implementing the SQRT opcode. I suspect this came from Duncan
> Murdoch; I don't know the reason for restricting to __GNUC__ <= 4.

That was an update to keep the workaround for gcc 4.9.2.  The previous
code restricted the change to 4.6.x or earlier.

I think the reason for the earlier restriction is the assumption that
eventually gcc will be fixed and this workaround won't be necessary, but
apparently 5.2.0 still has the same problem.

Duncan Murdoch