[Rd] Hidden files problem in R CMD check

cstrato cstrato at aon.at
Sat Sep 26 22:41:14 CEST 2015

Dear Simon,

Thank you very much for your help, it did solve my problems!! Great!

I have googled COPYFILE_DISABLE and found the following site which does
explain the issue with tar on Mac OS X, see:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/9665/create-tar-archive-of-a-directory-except-for-hidden-files

Instead of doing:
$tar czf xps_1.29.2.tar.gz xps

I did now:
$COPYFILE_DISABLE=1 tar czf xps_1.29.2.tar.gz xps

Running:
$R CMD check xps_1.29.2.tar.gz
now leaves only '.BBSoptions' as hidden file.

However, I must admit that I do not understand it.

Since  more than ten years I am running the 'tar' command on my Macs
(using Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion and now Yosemite) and running
R CMD check did never give these warning messages.
Even two weeks ago everything was ok.

Could it be that upgrading from OS X 10.10.3 to 10.10.5 did change the
behaviour?
(However, the link above is already from 2011)

Maybe one word regarding the editor I am using:
Yes, I am using 'nedit-5.5-Darwin-i386/nedit' which is pretty old,
but in my opinion the best and fastest editor I know:
- When I open a C++ file containing more than 10,000 lines it opens it
   immediately with all C++ instructions highlighted immediately
   (in contrast to emacs)
- I can open the huge (>500 MB) Affymetrix annotation files containing
   more than one million lines in few seconds and scroll fast from
   beginning to end
- It does even have a Language Mode for R

I do not believe that 'nedit' does  create these hidden files, since it
never did.

Thank you once again.
Best regards,
Christian