[Rd] vector finalizers

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed Aug 10 22:30:51 CEST 2016

There is no plan to change R's garbage collector, and I did not say
there was. What I wrote is:

     If R is built to use reference counting for determining sharing
     information this does not happen, so this is likely to change and not
     force a copy by 3.4.0.

So reference counting is to be used for determining sharing, _not_ for
memory management.

There is some work in progress to allow alternate representation for R
vectors that would for the most part behave like standard
vectors. There are however a lot of thorny issues: while it is nice if
passing such things to sum() or mean() behaves in the 'usual' way, it
is probably not so nice if passing to log() or to serialize() behaves
in the 'usual' way. We'll have to see over the next few month whether
these issues can be addressed in a reusable way.

Best,

luke

On Sat, 6 Aug 2016, frederik at ofb.net wrote:

> Dear R Devel,
>
> In a thread this morning Luke Tierney mentioned that R's way of
> garbage collecting is going to change soon in 3.4.0. I couldn't find
> this info on Google but I wanted to share what I had been discussing
> in another forum, in case now is not too late to raise considerations
> which could affect the design of planned changes to R's garbage
> collection facilities.
>
> I ran into a problem when trying to get R to quickly load some vectors
> from disk. R should be able to do this efficiently using memory
> mapping. There is a package 'ff' which implements efficient loading of
> disk-based vectors using memory mapping. It works pretty well, but the
> problem is that it creates a separate data type - the vectors are not
> "native" R vectors. There are some wrapper functions in a package
> 'ffbase' which allow people to use common functions like 'sum' on
> these 'ff' vectors. However, a new wrapper has to be written for every
> such function, and I guess the 'ffbase' authors do not have time to
> write wrappers that are as efficient as the native R functions - in my
> testing, there was a 10x slow-down for 'sum'.
>
> The situation is a bit wistful because an 'ff' vector and a native R
> vector are basically the same data type, they both store elements
> contiguously in memory. Apparently, what prevents 'ffbase' and 'ff'
> from creating native R vectors is the fact that it is impossible to
> assign a "finalizer" to a native R vector. We need a finalizer so that
> R can tell us when a vector is being freed, so we can unmap the
> associated memory/file. Ffbase maintainer Edwin de Jonge was even
> skeptical that CRAN would accept a package implementing the hack I had
> proposed to simulate native R vectors from mmap'ed 'ff' vectors. The
> issue is discussed here:
>
> https://github.com/edwindj/ffbase/issues/52
>
> Of course, weak references and external pointers allow finalizers to
> be assigned to objects, but as I understand it, such objects are
i> separate types from vectors - there is no way in R to synthesize a

--
Luke Tierney
    Actuarial Science
241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:   luke-tierney at uiowa.edu