[Rd] CRAN packages maintained by you

Roger Koenker rkoenker at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 28 23:48:29 CEST 2016

Hi Kurt,

I have started to look into this, and I need some guidance about how to
prioritize my repairs.  There are basically 4 categories of warnings from
gfortran’s pedantic critique of my packages:

	1.  Some errant tab characters it doesn’t like,
	2.  Too many or too few continue statements
	3.  Horrible (and obsolescent) arithmetic and computed gotos
	4.  undeclared doubles and dubious conversions

The last category seems relatively easy to fix and is potentially
important, but the others seem more difficult to fix and altogether
less important.  The goto issues are all in code that has been written
long ago by others and imported, e.g. Peyton and Ng’s cholesky.f.
I’m very reluctant to mess with any of those gotos.  The fact that
they were declared obsolete long ago doesn’t mean that gfortran
has any intention of not supporting these constructs in the future,
does it?

Before devoting more time and energy, which is in short supply
lately, I like to hear what others are thinking/doing about all this,
so I’ll copy this to r-devel.

All the best,
Roger

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801

----