[Rd] Spam messages

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Dec 6 17:02:11 CET 2016

Hi,

This topic has come up previously, across the R e-mail lists and the spammers need not be subscribers (but could be), but simply reasonably competent HTML scrapers.

If you look at the online archives of the R lists, for example R-Devel for this month:

    https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2016-December/thread.html <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2016-December/thread.html>

and look at the individual posts, there is only minimal munging of e-mail addresses, which is easily overcome with basic scripting.

This is further compounded by there being a multitude of other places on the web, where actively updated archives of the R lists exist, providing additional sources of e-mail addresses for spammers.

Some of the prior discussions had considered that we might preserve only the list address in the posts sent out (as some groups do) and fully scrape the sender's e-mail address from the post when distributed and archived. However, that approach is not without it's own limitations (e.g. would make cc's and reply-all largely useless, except for off-list discussion) and so no action has been taken since this seems to be a transient issue.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz