[Rd] require(..., quietly=TRUE) does not suppress warning

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Thu Dec 8 21:51:32 CET 2016

Well, I'm getting a warning (not an error) when the package doesn't exist.
I interpreted "most often" to mean that suppressing warnings/errors is why you'd most often use this argument, as most packages don't emit startup messages.

And technically there isn't a problem with attaching the package, since we don't even try to attach packages that don't exist.

So yes, very careful parsing of the docs suggests that the behavior is correct, but it does seem to violate the 'spirit' of what a user might expect. I am pretty sure I have used the 'if (!require("pkg")) install.packages("pkg")' pattern before without seeing this warning, so I wondered if the behavior had changed, and that's what prompted me to write.

I know I can squelch the warning by wrapping the require() in suppressWarnings().

Dan