[Rd] More problems with building R on a musl platform

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Feb 1 18:49:24 CET 2016

    > Here's what I did.
    > svn checkout https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/
    > cd ./trunk
    > aclocal -I m4 && autoconf
    > tools/rsync-recommended
    > cd ..
    > mkdir build
    > cd build
    > ../trunk/configure
    > make
    > make check

    > On make check it gives an error.
    > Here's the log.
    > http://pastebin.com/raw/1qfjqQY2

Thank you.  It shows some output differences for complex
arithmetic, which *may* be a bad sign for the  musl routines, or
the (also alternative ??)  math lib  you have on your platform.
But these differences where not leading to the failure,
rather is the reason close to the end of the log:
make[3]: *** [reg-tests-1c.Rout] Error 1

and these are the very latest regression checks, so they should not fail.
If you want, you can also make the
   tests/reg-tests-1c.Rout.fail

file available via a link above,
but to me, it currently looks there needs to be a bit more work
on your system libraries (or possibly on our configuration) side
before you should bundle R with your Alpine Linux.

I'd call it "unsafe" for now.
Martin

--
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich and R Core Team.