[Rd] problem plotting "ts" in a data.frame

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Feb 10 18:02:05 CET 2016

On 2/10/2016 9:43 AM, Martyn Plummer wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-02-09 at 16:56 -0600, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> Hello:
>>

>>         I'm having trouble plotting an object of class "ts" that is in a
>> data.frame.  I can do it with(data.frame, plot(...)) but not with
>> plot(..., data.frame);  see the example below.
> The plot function is generic so the actual function call depends on what
> arguments you give it: plot(y.ts) calls the plot.ts method from the
> stats package, whereas plot(y.ts ~ x) calls the plot.formula method from
> the graphics package. Only the plot.formula method has a data argument.
>
> What happens when you call plot(y1~x1, data=XY) is that first
> plot.formula is called and then this calls plot.ts with two arguments
> (XY$x1 and XY$y1) that are expected to be compatible time series.
> However, they are not. In fact x1 is numeric and when coerced to a time
> series it has no time points in common with y1 (which starts at time
> t=5). Hence the warning about non-intersecting series.
>
> Since non-overlapping series seems to be fatal in this context it might
> be a good idea to give an error at this point. Otherwise I think the
> function is behaving correctly.
>
> Martyn

Hi, Martyn:

       Thanks for the reply.  I think it's interesting that "plot(x1~y1,
XY)" works roughly as I would have expected, as does
"plot(as.numeric(y1)~x1, XY)".  However, "plot(y1~x1, XY)" stops with
"need finite 'xlim' values" after arriving at "plot.window".  I found
that quite cryptic.

       In any case, that's for your contributions to R and for
responding to my question.

       Spencer