[Rd] configure statement for R-devel with updated zlib in user account

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 18:13:47 CET 2016

I'm aware R-devel no longer includes zlib. This works find on
up-to-date Linux systems.

On the older Centos 6 cluster at KU, they have zlib tool old for
R-devel. The R-devel configure fails thus:

checking if zlib version >= 1.2.5... no
checking whether zlib support suffices... configure: error: zlib
library and headers are required

In other software, I've seen this kind of thing, so I installed zlib
1.2.8 into $HOME/packages and I can verify that the right pieces are
installed there.

Now I need you to tell me how to tell R to use that. Guesses so far:

$ export PATH=$HOME/packages/bin:$PATH
$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/packages/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

What R's configure statement needs to find zlib in my user account?

In R-devel, the ./configure --help doesn't give me a simple-enough
explanation of what I'm supposed to do. I thought I had a solution by
adding this

--with-libpth-prefix=$HOME/packages

but still rejection, new zlib not found.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science        Director