[Rd] a quick question before I proceed

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Feb 28 00:10:49 CET 2016

On 27 February 2016 at 22:13, Hodgess, Erin wrote:
| Is this the proper forum for questions on Fortran, MPI, RInside, and Rcpp, please?

I saw your earlier question on r-help by chance (still subscribed, but don't
real anything but fractions on it) and mostly shook my head in amusement.
Hardly the right venue.

Rcpp and RInside are about C++.  They have their own mailing list. We pointed
to it for all those years.

MPI is an HPC topic so I would ask on r-sig-hpc. Note that RInside /does/
have an examples subdirectory with worked MPI code.  Which has been there
sinc 2010 too.

For Fortran you may be on your own, or ask here. Why you think anybody would
combine Fortran and C++ at the same time with R is beyond my pay grade. Also
note the warning in 'Writing R Extensions' (which I am sure you read
carefully too):

  There is no guarantee that C++11 can be used in a package in combination
  with any other compiled language (even C), as the C++11 compiler may be
  incompatible with the native compilers for the platform.  (There are known
  problems mixing C++11 with Fortran.)

So if you want Fortran and C++, make sure you use plain C++.

For the intersection of all topics, no dedicated forum exists as far as I know.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org