[Rd] Multiple cores are used in simple for loop

Martyn Plummer plummerm at iarc.fr
Fri Jan 15 16:01:51 CET 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-15 at 15:03 +0100, Daniel Kaschek wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I run different R versions (3.2.1, 3.2.2 and 3.2.3) on different
> platforms (Arch, Ubuntu, Debian) with a different number of available
> cores (24, 4, 24). The following line produces very different behavior
> on the three machines:
>
> for(i in 1:1e6) {n <- 100; M <- matrix(rnorm(n^2), n, n); M %*% M}
>
> On the Ubuntu and Arch machine one core is used, but on the Debian
> machine ALL cores are used with heavy "kernel time" vs. "normal time"
> (red vs. green in htop). It seems that the number of cores used on
> Debian is related to the size of the matrix. Reducing n from 100 to 4
> causes four cores to work.

It depends on what backend R is using for linear algebra. Some will
split large matrix calculations over multiple threads. On Debian, you
can set the blas and lapack libraries to the implementation of your
choice.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/LinearAlgebraLibraries

As far as I know reference blas and lapack are still single threaded.

Alternatively, you may be able to control the maximum number of threads
by setting and exporting an appropriate environment variable depending
on what backend you are using, e.g. OPENBLAS_NUM_THREADS or
MKL_NUM_THREADS.

Martyn