[Rd] JDataFrame API

Thomas Fuller thomas.fuller at coherentlogic.com
Fri Jan 15 18:35:15 CET 2016

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your feedback. -- this is an observation that I wasn't
considering when I wrote this mainly because I am, in fact, working
with rather small data sets. BTW: There is code there, it's under the
bitbucket link -- here's the direct link if you'd still like to look
at it:

https://bitbucket.org/CoherentLogic/jdataframe

Re "for practical purposes is doesn't seem like the most efficient
solution" and "So the JSON route is very roughly ~13x slower than
using Java directly."

I've not benchmarked this and will take a closer look at what you have
today -- in fact I may include these details on the JDataFrame page.
The JDataFrame targets the use case where there's significant
development being done in Java and data is exported into R and,
additionally, the developer intends to keep the two separated as much
as possible. I could work with Java directly, but then I potentially
end up with quite a bit of Java code taking up space in R and I don't
like this because if I need to refactor something I have to do it in
two places.

There's another use case for the JDataFrame as well and that's in an
enterprise application (you may have alluded to this when you said
"[i]f you need process separation..."). Consider a business where
users are working with R and the application that produces the data is
actually running in Tomcat. Shipping large amounts of data over the
wire in this example would be a performance destroyer, but for small
data sets it certainly would be helpful from a development perspective
to expose JSON-based web services where the R script would be able to
convert a result into a data frame gracefully.

Tom