[Rd] Suggestion: pdf.options(embed=TRUE)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jun 1 03:19:24 CEST 2016

> On May 31, 2016, at 4:59 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I learned last week that I generated a lot of PDFs and forgot to go
> back and embed the fonts in them.
>
> It would be very pleasant for me if pdf.options included an argument
> to turn on font embedding and have fonts always embedded. Always.
>
> Thanks for your time, as always.

I wondered if it would be fairly simple to use .Rprofile to overwrite `pdf` with your own version that sets the value of `fonts' to a call to `options` and then also set the options("pdf_embed")-value to your choice of font(s), possibly defaulting to the current values of `names(pdfFonts())`.

Looking at the code for `pdf`, however, I see that a call to `check.options` might require a mere complex set of parameters perhaps involving disabling the check on the fonts option value.

I ended up wondering if instead the function to modify might not be `grDevices:::initPSandPDFfonts`

--
David.