[Rd] Source code of early S versions

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue Mar 1 21:39:56 CET 2016

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016, peter dalgaard wrote:

>> On 29 Feb 2016, at 19:54 , Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> PS:  somehow "historical" would be less unnerving than "archeological"
>>
>> At least I didn't say palaeontological.
>
> So John should feel more like stone age than dinosaur?
>
> (Some portion of this must be a fortune candidate!)

:-) Unless anyone objects:

R> fortune(373)

Barry Rowlingson: I've been unable to locate any version of S online. Does
anyone have a copy, somewhere, rusting away on an old hard disk or slowly
flaking off a tape? [...] Obviously this would be for archaeological
purposes.
John Chambers: [...] somehow "historical" would be less unnerving than
"archeological".
Barry Rowlingson: At least I didn't say palaeontological.
    -- Barry Rowlingson and John Chambers (on the availability of the
       source code for early versions of S)
       R-devel (February 2016)