[Rd] vignette index

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:47:03 CET 2016

On 04/03/2016 9:44 AM, Wang, Zhu wrote:
> Dear helpers,
>
> I have multiple vignette files for a package, and I would like to have the "right" order of these files when displayed online. For instance, see below:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/bst/index.html
>
> The order of vignette links on CRAN is different from what I hoped for:
>
> > vignette(package="bst")
> Vignettes in package 'bst':
>
> pros                    Cancer Classification Using Mass
>                          Spectrometry-based Proteomics Data (source,
>                          pdf)
> static_khan             Classification of Cancer Types Using Gene
>                          Expression Data (Long) (source, pdf)
> khan                    Classification of Cancer Types Using Gene
>                          Expression Data (Short) (source, pdf)
> static_mcl              Classification of UCI Machine Learning Datasets
>                          (Long) (source, pdf)
> mcl                     Classification of UCI Machine Learning Datasets
>                          (Short) (source, pdf)
>
> The package bst already has an index.html,  and I thought that should have done the job, but apparently not. Any suggestions?

The index.html file should be used in the online help system, but
vignette() doesn't use that, it looks in the internal database of
vignettes.  I don't think you can control the order in which it displays
things.

This could conceivably be changed, but not by consulting your index.html
file --- it is not required to follow a particular structure, so we
can't find what order you want from it.  One more likely possibility
would be to sort alphabetically in the current locale according to
filename or vignette title.  So then you could get what you want by
naming your vignettes 1pros, 2static_khan, etc.

It would also be possible to add a new \VignetteXXXX directive so affect
collation order, but that seems like overkill.

Duncan Murdoch