[Rd] unary class union of an S3 class

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Sat Mar 19 08:10:40 CET 2016

On 03/18/2016 03:28 PM, Michael Lawrence wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Hervé Pagès <hpages at fredhutch.org
> <mailto:hpages at fredhutch.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Short story
>     -----------
>
>        setClassUnion("ArrayLike", "array")
>
>        showClass("ArrayLike")  # no slot
>
>        setClass("MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass",
>            contains="ArrayLike",
>            representation(stuff="ANY")
>        )
>
>        showClass("MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass") # 2 slots!!
>
>     That doesn't seem right.
>
>     Long story
>     ----------
>
>     S4 provides at least 3 ways to create a little class hierarchy
>     like this:
>
>             FooLike ............. virtual class with no slot
>              ^   ^
>              |   |
>            foo   anotherfoo ..... 2 concrete subclasses
>
>     (1) The "standard" way: define FooLike first, then foo and anotherfoo
>     as subclasses of FooLike:
>
>        setClass("FooLike")
>
>        setClass("foo",
>            contains="FooLike",
>            representation(stuff="ANY")
>        )
>
>        setClass("anotherfoo",
>            contains="FooLike",
>            representation(stuff="ANY")
>        )
>
>        showClass("FooLike")    # displays foo and anotherfoo as
>                                # known subclasses
>
>        x1 <- new("foo")
>        is(x1, "foo")           # TRUE
>        is(x1, "FooLike")       # TRUE
>        is(x1, "anotherfoo")    # FALSE
>
>        x2 <- new("anotherfoo")
>        is(x2, "anotherfoo")    # TRUE
>        is(x2, "FooLike")       # TRUE
>        is(x2, "foo")           # FALSE
>
>     Everything works as expected.
>
>     (2) Using a class union: define foo and anotherfoo first, then FooLike
>     as the union of foo and anotherfoo:
>
>        setClass("foo", representation(stuff="ANY"))
>        setClass("anotherfoo", representation(stuff="ANY"))
>        setClassUnion("FooLike", c("foo", "anotherfoo"))
>
>        showClass("FooLike")    # displays foo and anotherfoo as
>                                # known subclasses
>
>     (3) Using a *unary* class union: define foo first, then FooLike as the
>     (unary) union of foo, then anotherfoo as a subclass of FooLike:
>
>        setClass("foo", representation(stuff="ANY"))
>        setClassUnion("FooLike", "foo")
>
>        showClass("FooLike")   # displays foo as the only known subclass
>
>        setClass("anotherfoo",
>            contains="FooLike",
>            representation(stuff="ANY")
>        )
>
>        showClass("FooLike")   # now displays foo and anotherfoo as
>                               # known subclasses
>
>     The 3 ways lead to the same hierarchy. However the 3rd way is
>     interesting because it allows one to define the FooLike virtual
>     class as the parent of an existing foo class that s/he doesn't
> [...]

   Error in setIs("array", "ArrayLike") :
     class “array” is sealed; new superclasses can not be defined,
except by 'setClassUnion'

How do you define a virtual class as the parent of an existing class
with setIs?

> Everything then behaves as expected. I
> don't think it makes much sense to "contain" a class union.

Why is that? A class union is just a virtual class with no slot
that is the parent of the classes that are in the union. All the
classes in the union contain their parent. What's interesting is that
this union is actually open to new members: when I later define a new
class that contains the class union, I'm just adding a new member to
the union.

> Rather, you
> just want to establish the inheritance relationship.

Isn't what I'm doing when I define a new class that contains the
class union?

>     For example, to define an ArrayLike class:
>
>        setClassUnion("ArrayLike", "array")
>        showClass("ArrayLike")  # displays array as a known subclass
>
>     Note that ArrayLike is virtual with no slots (analog to a Java
>     Interface), which is what is expected.
>
>        setClass("MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass",
>            contains="ArrayLike",
>            representation(stuff="ANY")
>        )
>
>        showClass("MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass")  # shows 2 slots!!
>
>     What is the .Data slot doing here? I would expect to see that slot
>     if MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass was extending array but this is not
>     the case here.
>
>        a <- new("MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass")
>
>        is(a, "MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass")  # TRUE  --> ok
>        is(a, "ArrayLike")                    # TRUE  --> ok
>        is(a, "array")                        # FALSE --> ok
>
>     But:
>
>        is.array(a)  # TRUE --> not ok!
>
>     Is is.array() confused by the presence of the .Data slot?
>

> It looks like the unary union somehow equates ArrayLike and array

Clearly the unary union makes ArrayLike a parent of array, as it should
be. This can be confirmed by extends():

   > extends("array", "ArrayLike")
   [1] TRUE
   > extends("ArrayLike", "array")
   [1] FALSE

The results for is(a, "ArrayLike") (TRUE) and is(a, "array") (FALSE)
on a MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass instance are consistent with this.

So the little 3-class hierarchy I end up with in the above example
is exactly how expected:

          ArrayLike
           ^    ^
           |    |
       array    MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass

What is not expected is that MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass has a .Data
slot and that is.array(a) returns TRUE on a MyArrayLikeConcreteSubclass
object.

H.

E-mail: hpages at fredhutch.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791