[Rd] summary( prcomp(*, tol = .) ) -- and 'rank.'

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:45:28 CET 2016

> On 25 Mar 2016, at 10:08 , Jari Oksanen <jari.oksanen at oulu.fi> wrote:
>

>> On 25 Mar 2016, at 10:41 am, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As I see it, the display showing the first p << n PCs adding up to 100% of the variance is plainly wrong.
>>
>> I suspect it comes about via a mental short-circuit: If we try to control p using a tolerance, then that amounts to saying that the remaining PCs are effectively zero-variance, but that is (usually) not the intention at all.
>>
>> The common case is that the remainder terms have a roughly _constant_, small-ish variance and are interpreted as noise. Of course the magnitude of the noise is important information.
>>
> But then you should use Factor Analysis which has that concept of “noise” (unlike PCA).

Actually, FA has a slightly different concept of noise. PCA can be interpreted as a purely technical operation, but also as an FA variant with same variance for all components.

Specifically, FA is

Sigma = LL' + Psi

with Psi a diagonal matrix. If Psi = sigma^2 I , then L can be determined (up to rotation) as the first p components of PCA. (This is used in ML algorithms for FA since it allows you to concentrate the likelihood to be a function of Psi.)

Methods like PC regression are not being very specific about the model, but the underlying line of thought is that PCs with small variances are "uninformative", so that you can make do with only the first handful regressors. I tend to interpret "uninformative" as "noise-like" in these contexts.

-pd