[Rd] Storage of byte code-compiled functions in sysdata.rda

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at web.de
Sun May 1 14:41:50 CEST 2016

Thanks, Luke, for having a look to it.

Sure, I can give you some reproducible example -- even in two degrees of
completeness ;-): see below.

Thanks again, Peter

%-----------------------------------
(I) first example
%-----------------------------------
Just to reproduce the error, on r-devel, try:

install.packages("RobAStRDA")
require(RobAStRDA)
getFromNamespace(".RMXE", ns = "RobAStRDA")[["GEVFamily"]][["fun.N"]][[1]](1.3)

%-----------------------------------
(II) an example also giving the context
%-----------------------------------
For the "complete" story, not only the R-code needs to be given, but also the
preparation steps to produce the packages on the right R version;

so please follow steps (1)--(6) below; I am not 100% sure whether this already gives
you all information needed for this, but if not so please let me know.

(1) create a minimal R-package "InterpolTry"
      with byte-compilation on in the DESCRIPTION file
      and with stats::approxfun imported in the NAMESPACE file

(2) in an R session on R-devel do

require(InterpolTry)
x <- 1:100
y <- 1:100
fun <- approxfun(x,y)
## revise the next line accordingly to your local settings
SrcRPathInterpolTry <- <path_to_(source-)R-folder_of_InterpolTry>
RdaFile <- file.path(SrcRPathInterpolTry, "sysdata.rda")
save(fun, file = RdaFile)
tools::resaveRdaFiles(RdaFile)

(3) re-build package InterpolTry and re-install it

(4) create a minimal R package "UseInterpolTry", again
      with byte-compilation on in the DESCRIPTION file
      and with stats::approxfun and package "InterpolTry"
      imported in the NAMESPACE file

(5) in the R folder of R package "UseInterpolTry" write a function
      useInterpolFct()  which goes like this

      useInterpolFct <- function(x){
               fun <- getFromNamespace("fun", ns = "InterpolTry")
               fun(x)
      }

     export this function in the namespace and create an .Rd file to it

(6) (re-)build package "UseInterpolTry" and (re-)install it and try

require(UseInterpolTry)
useInterpolFct(5)

Steps (1)--(6) work with R-3.1.3, but no longer with R-devel.