[Rd] R process killed when allocating too large matrix (Mac OS X)

virgo cireyapmin at gmail.com
Thu May 12 13:03:01 CEST 2016

On Thu, 12 May 2016 12:07:29 +0200
Jeroen Ooms <jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Martin Maechler
> <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> > My conclusion was I could not use the RAppArmor package.
> >
> > (But that's wrong: For the  rlimit*()  functions below, one do
> >  *NOT* need an AppArmor-enabled version of Linux !)
>
> Yes, it is a relatively recent (unadvertised) feature that the package
> now builds on linux systems without libapparmor. I agree this names
> the package name confusing. I'll make at least that warning more
> informative.
>
> Some background: When I started the package (5 years ago) I expected
> that soon all linux distributions would have the apparmor module which
> has been in the kernel since 2.6.36. However Redhat is explicitly
> disabling it because they are pushing a competing MAC system (SELinux)
> which they develop together with the NSA, and they really want you to
> use this instead (and only this!).
>
> > I gather that all of these are *not* Apparmor related... so
> > could/should maybe rather migrate into a lightweight package not
> > mentioning AppArmor ?
>
> I agree, it has been on the to do list for a while; Kirill and me were
> talking yesterday about what would be the best route to take:
>
>  - A small package with only the rlimit bindings
>  - or: A 'linux' package with bindings to anything in the kernel,
> including rlimit, but possibly other system tools.
>  - or: A package targeting POSIX/unix with standard functionality that
> is also available on OSX/BSD.
>
> >From my experience, windows is pretty useless for this kind of
> >stuff.
Maybe not so useless after reading [1] about computationally
querying the OSes on the available memory and [2] about pushing the
OSes' limits. The latter page is part of a series where each topic is
valuable on its own.

[1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx
[2] https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2008/07/21/pushing-the-limits-of-windows-physical-memory/