[Rd] Latest R-devel build failing on OS X

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 24 16:30:11 CEST 2016

    > I had a regression in config.site so the nightly build didn't. Retrying....
    > Looks like it will build, but the ctl-R, ctl-C bug is still present on OSX (w/Simon's libs). This _was_ fixed for a while, was it not?

I thought it was never fixed, for readline versions 5.x (or all
of readline_version < 6.3 ?) because the patch assumed features
not available, e.g., for Frederik (who got compilation errors
which I think you confirmed on pre-6 readline).

I remember you having two different readlines installed on OSX
but the standard Mac binary (from CRAN, i.e. Simon) would use
the old readline version ?

so that whole  resetReadline() solution is now conditionalized inside

#if defined(RL_READLINE_VERSION) && RL_READLINE_VERSION >= 0x0603
#endif

and hence the previous code (which is buggy) is used for
readline versions < 6.3.
As a consequence the bug is only fixed for readline >= 6.3,
because the current patch did not compile and hence seemed not
appropriate for  readline < 6.3 (and hence the above conditionalization).

    > (The NEWS entry is also wrong: The issue existed before readline 6.3)

Aah.. you are right. The API change with 6.3 was for the other, the
"SIGWINCH" bug.

Here's a an update proposal for that NEWS entry :

         • The API for readline libraries >= 6.3 had changed such
           terminal window resizes where no longer properly signalled
           (PR#16604).  Also, ‘Ctrl C’ in incremental search behaved
           confusingly in R (unix) consoles (PR#16603) also for older
           readline versions. These have been fixed (for readline >=
           6.3 only), thanks to patches by Frederick Eaton.

Martin