[Rd] Suggestion: mkString(NULL) should be NA

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Thu May 26 04:06:21 CEST 2016

Hi,

I tend to agree with the objections expressed earlier. I would only
add that making the NULL pointer semantically equivalent to NA would
introduce a precedent that could lead to some confusion. For example
it would set the expectation that CHAR(Rf_mkChar(NULL)) is NULL,
which is not the case AFAIK. Or that low-level string manipulation
utilities that take a C-string as input (e.g. Rf_reEnc()) accept NULL
and propagate it.

Of course these things can be modified to be consistent with the new
"NULL pointer == NA" paradigm but this might end up being a bigger move
than what it seems at first sight...

Cheers,
H.

On 05/25/2016 08:43 AM, luke-tierney at uiowa.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2016, Tim Keitt wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Michael Lawrence
>> <lawrence.michael at gene.com
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Jeroen Ooms <jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> I'm not disagreeing with what's been said in this thread, but I can't
>> help
>> but recall that I brought up this exact issue probably 15 years ago
>> and was
>> told (by Brian, I believe) "don't do that" (pass a null pointer),
>> which was
>> perfectly fine. The real issue was not the behavior but that it was not
>> documented or consistent. I've lived by the mantra since that you can
>> never
>> trust a pointer in R code. User must always check for NULL.
>
> In _C_ code.  This is true whether you are calling into the R C API or
> any other C library: you as the C programmer need to make sure either
> that passing NULL is OK or make sure you don't do that.
>
> I wouldn't object to mkXXX checking for NULL and signaling an error
> instead of segfaulting, but good C code calling mkXXX should still
> typically do its own check and handle the situation in an appropriate
> way.
>
> Best,
>
> luke
>

>> I just wrote my own functions mkXXX_safe that wrap the internals and
>> check
>> the pointer.
>>
>> THK
>>
>> http://www.keittlab.org/