[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Nov 21 02:06:45 CET 2016

On 20 November 2016 at 19:28, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
| Hello,
|
| R's shared libraries are linked without setting the soname.  This is causing problems for some consumers.
|
|         Error: /usr/local/lib/R/library/tseries/libs/tseries.so is linked to
|         /usr/local/lib/R/lib/libRblas.so which does not have a SONAME.  math/R needs
|         to be fixed.
|
| What's the correct way to add the necessary linker flags?  I believe it should be something like this.
|
|        cc -shared -Wl,-soname,...

I think that may be true "in theory" (for libraries loaded by ldd(8) via
`/etc/ld.conf`) but not "in practice" for R which loads these shared
libraries itself (via dlopen(3) etc).

For what it is worth, I have been providing the Debian packages "as is" for
now 15+ years and nobody has complained.

What system are you on to get that complaint?

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org