[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Tue Nov 22 04:24:30 CET 2016

Dirk,

Yes.  Here is one example. https://rkward.kde.org/

> | > For what it is worth, I have been providing the Debian packages "as is" for
> | > now 15+ years and nobody has complained.
> |
> | > What system are you on to get that complaint?
> |
> | This is on FreeBSD.  Our apt-get, pkg, will not register shared library dependencies if the shared library does not have a soname.  If the library
> | gets changed and is no longer compatible with the previous version, and there is no soname to check, pkg will not know that all its dependencies
> | need to be reinstalled.

> Hmpf. No mechanism for fallback / default soname?  In that case you (or
> whoever acts as FreeBSD maintainer) may have to supply one.

Using a fallback or default soname would defeat the purpose, which is to detect
when the library's interface has changed, so that the proper action can be
taken.  I could provide a local patch for R's autotools, but as a package
maintainer yourself, I expect you also prefer when upstream get's it right.

Are there any constructive reasons not to include a proper soname?

Regards,

Joseph