[Rd] optim(…, method=‘L-BFGS-B’) stops with an error message while violating the lower bound

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Oct 8 20:50:35 CEST 2016

Hello:

       The development version of Ecdat on R-Forge contains a vignette
in which optim(…, method=‘L-BFGS-B’) stops with an error message while
violating the lower bound.

       To see all the details, try the following:

install.packages("Ecdat", repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org")

       Then do "help(pac=Ecdat)" -> "User guides, package vignettes and
other documentation" -> "Ecdat::AverageIncomeModels".

       I've found other optimizers that will get around the problem in
this case but none that performs as well as optim with many other problems.

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves

p.s.  I've also tested bobyqa{minqa} or nloptr{nloptr}, recommended in a
vignette in the lme4 package.  These did better than optim in this
example but worse in others I tried.