[Rd] optim(…, method=‘L-BFGS-B’) stops with an error message while violating the lower bound

Mark Leeds markleeds2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 00:00:24 CEST 2016

Hi Spencer: See the link below about L-BFGS-B below because  I had problems
with it a good while back (and I think the link description is the cause
but I can't prove it )  so  eventually I moved to the  Rvmmin(b) package.
It's a package but really an algorithm. Rvmmin(b) uses a variable-metric
algorithm similar to that of L-BFGS-B but without the problem below. It's
not surprisingly a creation of John Nash and quite impressive based on my
experience. Just like L-BFGS, it can implement box constraints by adding
the b.

http://users.eecs.northwestern.edu/~morales/PSfiles/acm-remark.pdf