[Rd] optim(…?=, =?utf-8?Q?method=‘L-BFGS-B’) stops with an error message while violating the lower bound

Avraham Adler avraham.adler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:48:27 CEST 2016

I believe the code can be found here:
http://users.iems.northwestern.edu/~nocedal/lbfgsb.html. Specifically,
lbfgsb.f in version 3.0 starts:

This is a modified version of L-BFGS-B. Minor changes in the updated
c     code appear preceded by a line comment as follows
c     c-jlm-jn
c     Major changes are described in the accompanying paper:
c         Jorge Nocedal and Jose Luis Morales, Remark on "Algorithm 778:
c         L-BFGS-B: Fortran Subroutines for Large-Scale Bound Constrained
c         Optimization"  (2011). To appear in  ACM Transactions on
c         Mathematical Software,
c     The paper describes an improvement and a correction to Algorithm 778.
c     It is shown that the performance of the algorithm can be improved
c     significantly by making a relatively simple modication to the subspace
c     minimization phase. The correction concerns an error caused by the use
c     of routine dpmeps to estimate machine precision.

It is released under the New 3-clause BSD license, so porting it to C
for inclusion into R should be OK as long as the i's are dotted and
t's crossed.

Avi