[Rd] Cluster: Various GCC, how important is consistency?

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Oct 18 03:05:40 CEST 2016

There are many issues with different gcc versions, but they can at least be minimized by using static linking, i.e. you should at the very least use -static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc to make sure you don't mix runtime versions. We run into the same problem since C++11 compilers are rare on production machines, but as long as you can isolate the packages away from the dynamically loaded code it often works since R only works at symbol level as long as you have a self-contained binary. The only other thing to worry about are ABI changes, but unless you use Fortran they tend to be compatible enough.

Cheers,
Simon