[Rd] Support for signing R packages with GPG

Bob Rudis bob at rud.is
Sun Oct 23 19:16:14 CEST 2016

I suspected/hoped this was one reason for the new pkg ;-)

I'm *100% in support of this* and will help as much as I can. I can
see if my org (Rapid7) would be willing to be a trusted peer (given my
position it's prbly more like "we will be doing this" vs an ask).
Sonatype may also be willing to be one (I have contacts there). I
might be able to convince Veracode, too. Given Microsoft's reliance on
R, they might be willing to be one and I suspect TIBCO, Mango and
other Consortium companies would gain some solid PR benefit &
community good will from being trusted peers.

With a similar purpose of integrity validation (not necessarily
gpg-related), I've been contemplating a rationale write-up and PR for
`base::source()` & `base::sys.source()` to support some type of
signature verification parameter option (with a default warning issued
when `source()` is used w/o the signature and a corresponding option
string to mute the warnings.

`devtools::source_gist()` …well, really `devtools::source_url()`
(which ultimately calls `base::source()`) would benefit from the check
being in `base::source()` but I've been contemplating PR'ing a warning
into them vs the easily ignorable message that is printed when no hash
is provided.

Neither may be accepted (and, yes, the `devtools` functions do have
Description text which try to emphasize the need for integrity
validation) but an explicit warning would (IMO) be a good way to
really get folks to think start to think about security issues.

Finally, it would also be nice to see RStudio team take advantage of
this new gpg pkg to enable generation of PGP keys and signing of git
commits. I'm personally at fault for not manually committing RStudio
projects with `-S` since the GUI makes it way too easy to avoid going
to the command-line. The Labs team at work is in the process of making
signing mandatory for private prod repos, so there's some shameless
personal benefit to this request ;-)