[Rd] enhancement to R CMD check: do imported objects from multiple packages mask each other?

Steffen Wagner steffen.wagner at inwt-statistics.de
Thu Oct 27 11:26:42 CEST 2016

Dear R-Developement Team,

I want to suggest an additiol check to the R CMD check functionality.

Consider the situation where the objects of more than one package are
imported to the NAMESPACE of a third package, e.g. via

    import(foo, bar)

in the NAMESPACE file.

There might be situations where exported objects in the packages `foo`
and `bar` have the same name, let´s say there is an object `f`
exported from both packages.

Then a warning created by R CMD check comparable to the same situation
when attaching multiple packages to the search path, like

> library(foo)
> library(bar)
The following objects are masked from ‘package:foo’:

would be very helpful.

I am aware that it is not best practice to import many packages with
many exported objects to the NAMESPACE of another package.
Nevertheless it would be nice feature to be warned about the resulting
name conflict.

Thanks in advance.

Steffen

--