[Rd] BUG?: On Linux setTimeLimit() fails to propagate timeout error when it occurs (works on Windows)

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Mon Oct 31 17:36:40 CET 2016

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> Thank you for looking into this Luke.
>
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 9:26 AM,  <luke-tierney at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>> On unix, unless event polling is enabled Sys.sleep just waits in a
>> select() call (with a SIGINT handler in place) so the elapsed time
>> isn't checked until after the select call is complete. Rstudio uses
>> event polling, and in particular sets R_wait_usec to 10000, which
>> means event and interrupt checks happen during a Sys.seep call.  The R
>> GUI on macOS doesn't seem to do this (but my lldb skills aren't up to
>> checking). Now that we have this elapsed time limit mechanism it might
>> be a good idea to set the default for R_wait_usec to something
>> reasonable on unix in general. 100000 might be a good value.
>>

>> A more worrying thing I noticed while looking at this is that blocking
>> reads on fifos and pipes and probably sockets are not interruptable --
>> that should probably be looked into.

I'll address the sleep issue sometime soon but I won't be able to look
into the blocking read issue for many months. SOmeone else might have
a chance to look earlier.

But for the situation you describe below using setTimeLimit doesn't
seem like the right approach. The parallel code is not written for
situations that need this kind of fault tolerance; it is not robust to
user interrupts and would not be to timer interrupts either. If you
are concerned that some potential workers might not be available then
you would be better checking that with a ping or simple ssh commend
first before starting a cluster on the available nodes.

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney