[Rd] forgive possible repost: alternate bzip2 library

Ramón Fallon ramonfallon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 17:49:37 CEST 2016

Dirk, thanks for your reply ... yes configure.ac, definitely. OK, mature
build system ... that's a warning indeed, though of course some dependency
libs already are treated like this, bitmaps/jpg for example: configure.ac

## Bitmap headers and libraries.
if test -n "${PKGCONF}"; then
R_BITMAPS2
else
R_BITMAPS
fi

(although the test here is existence of pkg-config, not if it finds
libraries). R_BITMAPS must be a set of macros of some sort. Will go out
hunting them now, unless anybody mentions where/how they live.

Cheers!

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 9 September 2016 at 12:21, Ramón Fallon wrote:
> | I am resubmitting a question, mainly because I suspect I may have
> | inadvertently cancelled it, while it was awaiting moderator approval.
> |
> | It's about manually compiling R-3.3.1 and using, not the standard
> system's
> | (ver 1.0.5), but an alternate a bzip2 (v1.0.6) which is located in a
> | non-standard location.
> |
> | I usually lean on pkg-config to deal with issues like this. I've create
> an
> | appropriate bzip2.pc file for bzip2 for this purpose.
> |
> | I've been focusing on the configure script, which at 50K lines is quite
> | hefty and my initial question was whether the R compile configure script
> | used pkg-config for locating headers and libraries.
>
> You want configure.ac, the source, not configure, the 'compiled' output.
>
> | My feeling now is that the answer is "sometimes". In locating
> | cairographics, it says it does, but for bzip2 I think it uses autoconf's
> | dubious magic. Don't know if anybody can confirm this.
> |
> | I could modify the configure so that it looks for bzip2 via pkg-config
> but
> | manual modification of this script is probably not proper practice, as
> well
> | as being very time consuming.
>
> As a (local) one-off, you could. You could continue to locally patch
> configure.
>
> In general, pkg-config is good (and I just filed a request for another
> library to support it).  Maybe here, you could work on a patch to
> configure.ac to _first_ use pkg-config for bzip2, and, if no result was
> found, fall back on the current behaviour.  It's tricky.  R has a very
> mature
> and very well tested build system, so for all changes you want to make
> /really/ sure you are not compromising any existing behaviour.
>
> Dirk
>

> --

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]