[Rd] Handlers in setGraphicsEventHandlers() can recursively call getGraphicsEvent(). Intended behavior?

Richard Bodewits r.bodewits at home.nl
Wed Sep 21 13:23:44 CEST 2016

doKeybd() gets called in CHelpKeyIn() and NHelpKeyIn() in
library/grDevices/src/devWindows.c, where the call is encapsulated in an
'if (dd->gettingEvent)' block. So the only times this code ever calls
doKeybd() is when gettingEvent is in fact set.

Further, it's called in two locations in X11_eventHelper(), in
modules/X11/devX11.c, where the state of gettingEvent seems to be moot
for its handling.

doMouseEvent() in turn is called in HelpMouseClick(), HelpMouseMove(),
and HelpMouseUp() in devWindows.c, where again each call is only made
after checking if gettingEvent is true.

In devX11.c it's called once in X11_eventHelper(), after checking if
gettingEvent is true.

Other than these calls, gettingEvent does not get checked anywhere
outside of main/gevents.c, and nothing called in doKeybd() or
doMouseEvent() depends on its state being toggled either which way.

As far as I've been able to ascertain these lines are completely
superfluous, as well as introducing a recursion issue that they seem to
have been meant to somehow prevent.

As for tests, I can look into cooking something up, though I'm going to
be spread a little thin for the next three months.

After 12 years of this code being in place I doubt I'll be able to cover
every imaginable usecase scenario by myself though.

But thanks for replying. Was starting to think I was screaming into the
void. ;-)

- Richard Bodewits