[Rd] Very hard to reproduce bug (?) in R-devel

Winston Chang winstonchang1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:36:21 CEST 2017

Small correction to my previous email: the error can also be
replicated by installing the package and then sourcing the tests. This
is slightly faster than running R CMD check. It is also how we ran the
tests with gdb. This will run the tests in a Docker container and
raise the same error. (To run outside of a Docker container, simply
leave out the first line).

  docker run --rm -ti pooltest /bin/bash
  RD CMD INSTALL pool_0.1.0.tar.gz  --install-tests
  cd /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/pool/tests
  RD -e 'source("testthat.R")'

At the suggestion of Tomas Kalibera, I ran the tests with
gctorture(TRUE). When I do this, I get three errors instead of just
one:

======================
# RD -e 'gctorture(TRUE); source("testthat.R")'

R Under development (unstable) (2017-03-23 r72389) -- "Unsuffered Consequences"
Copyright (C) 2017 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> gctorture(TRUE); source("testthat.R")
1. Failure: pool: checks for leaks (named) (@test-leak-detection.R#21) ---------
gc() showed 0 warnings

2. Failure: pool scheduler: schedules things in the right order
(@test-scheduling.R#24)
`results` not identical to 1:3.
2/3 mismatches (average diff: 1)
[1] 2 - 1 ==  1
[2] 1 - 2 == -1

3. Failure: pool scheduler: works with pool (@test-scheduling.R#31) ------------
pool$counters$free not identical to 1.
1/1 mismatches
[1] 0 - 1 == -1

testthat results
OK: 199 SKIPPED: 0 FAILED: 3
1. Failure: pool: checks for leaks (named) (@test-leak-detection.R#21)
2. Failure: pool scheduler: schedules things in the right order
(@test-scheduling.R#24)
3. Failure: pool scheduler: works with pool (@test-scheduling.R#31)

Error: testthat unit tests failed
Execution halted