[Rd] Very hard to reproduce bug (?) in R-devel

Robert McGehee rmcgehee at walleyetrading.net
Wed Apr 5 21:24:14 CEST 2017

Winston,
I had a similar experience to you tracking down an insanely difficult bug in my R code that "disappeared" whenever slight changes were made to the script (e.g. like adding cat() statements). In my case, it coincided with my over-eager compilation of R and its library stack, as I was also experimenting with a cutting edge version of the gcc compiler as well as what I thought were innocuous performance enhancing CFLAGS like -O3/-Ofast -march=native. After downgrading gcc and recompiling everything (R and BLAS) without the extra flags, the problem went away. Not saying this is your problem, just sharing my similar experience.

<TANGENT> And for anyone interested, I did extensive benchmarking on the effects of the added CFLAGS and cutting edge gcc compilers, and I never saw any significant performance enhancement, and frequently saw a big performance penalty with extra flags, particularly as matrix algebra problems sometimes slowed down enormously when using a custom BLAS (ATLAS) compiled with anything fancy. Though nowadays, the out-of-the-box R BLAS seems much faster than it used to be, so I don't even bother fiddling with a custom BLAS. </TANGENT>

--Robert