[Rd] Very hard to reproduce bug (?) in R-devel
pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 23:54:02 CEST 2017
> On 05 Apr 2017, at 20:40 , Winston Chang <winstonchang1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think there's a good chance that this is due to a bug in R. I have
> been trying to track down the cause of the problem but haven't been
> able find it.
Apologies in advance if this is just stating the obvious, but let me try and put some general ideas on the table.
- is anything non-deterministic involved? (Doesn't sound so, but...)
- could it be something with the bytecompiler?
- can you get something (_anything_) to trigger the bug (in any variant) when running R under gdb? I'm thinking gctorture() etc.
- it is odd that you cannot immediately get the same behaviour with R -d gdb or valgrind. Are you sure you are actually running the same script in the same way?
- if you can get a hold of something inside gdb, then there should be some potential for backtracking using hardware watchpoints and such. As in: This memory location doesn't contain the value I expected; what changed it?
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Center for Statistics, Copenhagen Business School
Solbjerg Plads 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark
Office: A 4.23
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com
More information about the R-devel