[Rd] failure of make check-all

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Thu Apr 6 15:51:31 CEST 2017

Peter,
   Retry how much of it?  That is, where does it go in the sequence from svn up to make
check?  I'll update my notes so as to do it correctly.

In any case, I put it first and reran the whole command chain.  I had recently upgraded
linux from 14.xx LTS to 16.04 LTS so it makes sense to start over.  This removed the large
diff in base-Ex.Rout from the first part of the log, but the terminal error still remains:

make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/R-devel/tests'
make[3]: Entering directory '/usr/local/src/R-devel/tests'
running code in 'reg-tests-3.R' ... OK
   comparing 'reg-tests-3.Rout' to './reg-tests-3.Rout.save' ... OK
running code in 'reg-examples3.R' ...Makefile.common:98: recipe for target
'reg-examples3.Rout' failed
make[3]: *** [reg-examples3.Rout] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/R-devel/tests'
Makefile.common:273: recipe for target 'test-Reg' failed

Here are lines 97-100 of tests/Makefile.common:

.R.Rout:
     @rm -f $@ $@.fail $@.log
     @$(ECHO) $(ECHO_N) "running code in '$<' ...$(ECHO_C)" > $@.log
     @$(R) < $< > $@.fail 2>&1 || (cat $@.log && rm $@.log && exit 1)

There is one complier warning message, it prints in pink so as not to miss it!

main.c: In function ‘dummy_ii’:
main.c:1669:12: warning: function returns address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
      return (uintptr_t) ⅈ

-------------

So as to be more complete I did "cd tests; R" and source("reg-examples3.R"), and lo and
behold the error is

> source('reg-examples3.R')
Error in fitter(X, Y, strats, offset, init, control, weights = weights,  :
   object 'Ccoxmart2' not found

Looking at src/coxmart2.c and src/init.c I don't see anything different than the other
dozen .C routines in my survival package.  The file tests/book7.R in the package exercises
this routine, and CMD check passes.

Hints?

Terry T.