[Rd] Crash after (wrongly) applying product operator on object from LIMMA package

Hilmar Berger berger at mpiib-berlin.mpg.de
Mon Apr 24 11:58:30 CEST 2017

Hi January,

I believe the root of the xlsx issue has been identified and a fix
suggested by Tomas Kalibera (see https://github.com/s-u/rJava/pull/102).
In a nutshell, Oracle Java on Linux modifies the stack in a way that
makes it smaller and and the same time makes it impossible for R to
detect this change, leading to segfaults. It is not clear to me that the
same problem would occur on Mac, since the behavior of Oracle seems to
be Linux specific. Possibly even Linux users on OpenJDK might not
encounter any problems (not tested).

So possibly the next release of rJava should also fix the xlsx problems
with other packages.

Best regards,
Hilmar

--
Dr. Hilmar Berger, MD
Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology
Charitéplatz 1
D-10117 Berlin
GERMANY

Phone:  + 49 30 28460 430