[Rd] Problems with S4 methods dispatching on `...` (aka dotsMethods)

Andrzej Oleś andrzej.oles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 11:34:39 CEST 2017

Hi Michael,

thanks again for your patch! I've tested it and I'm happy to confirm that
`callNextMethod()` works with methods dispatching on `...`.

However, the second issue I reported still seems to be unresolved. Consider
the following toy example, where the `f()` calls differ in result depending
on whether the dispatch happens on a formal argument or the `...` argument.

    f = function(x, ..., a = b) {
      b = "missing 'a'"
      print(a)
    }

    f()
    ## [1] missing 'a'

    f(a = 1)
    ## [1] 1

    setGeneric("f", signature = "x")

    # works as the non-generic version
    f()
    ## [1] missing 'a'

    setGeneric("f", signature = "...")

    # unexpectedly fails to find 'b'
    f()
    ## Error in print(a) : object 'b' not found

Any chances of fixing this?

Cheers,
Andrzej