[Rd] symantec treating R-devel r73003 for Windows as malware

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 2 10:09:25 CEST 2017

    > Dear all
    > I am not sure if this is appropriate for the list, but I have recently found that Symantec blocks R devel from installation. Enclosed is copy of Symantec message.

Thank you, Petr.   I do think it is quite appropriate for this list.

    > Our IT installed it but I wont be probably alone with this problem.

We will see...

    >> sessionInfo()
    > R Under development (unstable) (2017-07-31 r73003)
    > Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
    > Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 14393)

    [..............]

I'm appending a (less compressed but notably correctly cropped)
version of the screen shot (also with a slightly more
descriptive name) because I needed several minutes before I
could correctly view your first attachment

What happens if you try "R 3.4.1-patched" for Windows?
I think they are built with the same tools... and that one is
much more important as closer to release.

Thank you (and others) for diagnosing and giving feedback on this.

Martin Maechler,
ETH Zurich