[Rd] rnorm is not truly random used in the lm function

Victor Tian tianxu03 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 18:33:41 CEST 2017

I did it purely based on the intuition I built from elsewhere and maybe in
R as well.

To summarise, it's basically a matter of evaluation ordering issue.

It looks like the model.matrix() function has a higher precedence over
rnorm(100), i.e., outside in rather than inside out in this specific case?
If the inner parts are evaluated first, as in most of the cases, the two
norm(100) expressions will no longer be the same.

I guess it's because they appear the same to model.matrix()? This would
raise another question, how does model.matrix() judges if two variables are
the same on both sides of the ~ sign? By the input literal?

Please clarify.

Thanks,
Victor

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch